You’re shipwrecked on an isolated island, a desperate castaway in a total freakshow world. How will you survive?
Collect the pages of a Survival Guide and figure it out, of course! Find food, water, and shelter before you perish. Uh oh, is it getting dark? Figure out how to get through the night! While you’re at it, gather up some of this awesome stuff and piece together over 100 handmade weapons and tools—from shotguns to Molotov cocktails. Now you can defend yourself and your friends like a boss!
- Choose one of the three playable characters, each with different characteristics and skill trees.
- Explore four islands filled with unique flora and fauna and a variety of abhorrent monstrosities.
- Collect “Survival guide” video chapters to learn tips that will save your life!
- Play with a friend offline through the story mode or go online and play with a friend through 8 demanding challenges..
- Try the “Iron Man” difficulty for a demanding hardcore game experience.
How to Survive is played from a top-down perspective. There are two game modes, story and challenge, and both can be played with up to 2 players. Challenge mode puts the player(s) on one side of the island, and they must get to the other side, where their getaway vehicle awaits. The player’s mission is to gather materials, craft weapons, and make it off the island without dying. Neither challenge or story are timed, and therefore, the player can take as long as they want.
How to Survive new DLC released October 21.
“Survivors! A number of you asked for a free roaming mode while others wanted an endless survival mode.”
- One Shot Escape: You’ll have just one chance to fix a vehicle and flee the islands, but watch out… resources are scarce and highly randomized.
- Barricade: You’ll have to spend your days gathering resources and fortify your position with barricades, obstacles and turrets to protect your friends at night from the incoming hordes of creatures.
The “Storm Warning Edition” comes bundled with all DLCs: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/45469/
“How To Survive is more than just a solid zombie role-playing game, it’s also one of the best games of the year. With its mix of Diablo-esque hack and slash and dual-stick shooter action, 505 Games’ newest Xbox Live Arcade game is a real surprise. It has a deep crafting system and a world you can’t help but want to explore. How To Survive rewrites the book on zombie RPGs!”
90% – Gaming Nexus
“While there have been several games that have recently released that fall into the growing zombie survival genre, How to Survive manages to do enough differently to earn its place among the crowd. The game’s strong emphasis on crafting and juggling basic human needs helps distinguish itself from other titles. Additionally, the story campaign features a tale that manages to contain a few plot twists despite its simplicity. One area where How to Survive shines is the game’s strange brand of humor which is helped along by the title’s decent voice acting. In all, How to Survive is recommended to any fans of either the undead or survival simulators. Those who enjoy intricate crafting or top-down gaming should also give it a look.”
4 Stars – Examiner
“In terms of graphic and sound design, How to Survive looks good and sounds even better. The lighting gives real-time shadows based on not only the source but the time of day as the shadows move with the passing sunlight. The island is beautifully rendered, and animations are fluid and zombie deaths are pleasingly gory, chunks of body parts will liter the ground and roll depending on the shape of the surface”
8/10 – Gamer Horizon
“A real Gem”
Destructoid at E3
“Offers a different experience for zombie game veterans”
“Has a lot more going for it than smashing brains and gory, red goo … With a surprisingly deep crafting system”